Saturday, March 1, 2008

Final leg of migration

The day I had been waiting for finally came. On 29th Feb morning, I checked my bonus using internet banking from home and decided to move the money to my husband's account. I know it sounds silly as the bank couldn't un-credit the amount credited into my account, but I decided to be 'kiasi' about it :)

After finishing with the bank transfer, I got my hubby to check if he received it and ask him for his resignation letter. I changed it slightly and printed it out. Then, I i-chat my team leader to inform him of my intention and for us to discuss about it privately. After which, I informed my close colleagues about the resignation personally as I think it's only fair they know about it earlier than the rest.

I think they are sad. It's always sad to know another of your colleagues is leaving, I understand. On the other hand, I think I would be sad to leave Singapore, my comfort zone. But at the moment, I am caught up with the preparation to migrate.

So far, we managed to get tenants to rent our flat, pending approval from HDB. I contacted a recruitment agent to help me look out for contract roles. I would need to change address for all my correspondence, cancel most of my credit cards, start sorting things out to pack and ship over to Sydney. We would throw a farewell party for our close friends at the end of March (my husband's idea). Pretty exciting :)

We have not decided which day we are going to fly but it would be either 2nd or 3rd week of April.

Australia here we come, we are going to contribute to your 40% tax :)

4 comments:

Wills said...

Reminded me of the time when I handed in my resignation in Singapore to migrate here too. Although in my case I tendered early December and my manager (great guy!) actually told me to delay it by a month so that I got my bonus first.

Your comfort zone will grow after a few years in Sydney! And hey.. 40% tax is marginal, when you average is out.. it's more like 30% on the whole amount, which admittedly is still much higher than Singapore! But the salary is generally higher too and the hours are definitely shorter!

Viv said...

Yeah, I'd need to get a good accountant to find ways to manage tax :)
I'm not sure about shorter hours, though. My ex-colleague told me that the hours is long for banking job anywhere. So planning to do contract job first.
Btw, Will, can we do salary sacrifice on contract role?

Wills said...

Salary sacrifice to what? If it's to your super I don't think that's a problem, they have to pay super anyway just pay you less and more into the super, same thing to them. Don't know why you would want to do that as such a young age though?

As for other sacrifice for benefits, it depends on the employers and it's between you and them.

http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/content.asp?doc=/content/24632.htm&page=2&H2

Viv said...

Thinking of doing salary sacrifice for car :) not sure how it works... hehe.. will prob ask the employer when it happens...