Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Glucose Test

Finally, after waiting 5 weeks since my last appointment, I'd get to see doctor and little bub again. As usual, doubts started to creep in and I kept asking my hubby "Do you think there's still a baby in there?", which he would answer "Yes...." Lucky for me he doesn't get tired of re-assuring me each time.

I got anterior placenta so I could not really feel baby's kicking very much. I think I started to feel some movements on my tummy but not sure what they are. Most of the time I could feel them when i'm watching TV or early in the morning (4-6am) when I woke up from sleep. Too bad I couldn't really share it with hubby, though he got excited each time I told him about it. So he is patiently waiting for the bub to get bigger....

As usual, hubby has a bad habit of being late for appointment and I have a bad habit of being in a bad mood whenever he's late. We arrived at 8.30am for our doctor's appointment and I was supposed to go for the glucose test first. Lucky our doctor was late so I could rushed down the hall to do the glucose test. I heard from my friend that the sugary drink is a bit yucky, but luckily it tasted like soft drink to me, so it was no problem for me to finish the bottle in 10 secs. I had started drinking soft drink for the last 2mths due to hot weather in summer.

We then waited our turn to see the doctor and he arrived quite shortly after that. I asked about whether it's alright to drink tea (though I'm trying to drink decaf if I could) and he said it's alright if I feel the urge to drink and as long as I don't drink it like water. I was worried about the baby's growth as I only put on 3 kg so far and it stayed that way since a month ago. He said that the weight gain would only be more abvious in the 3rd trimester. OK, I'd be looking forward to that. I told doctor that I carried an 11kg-baby last Saturday and ran to catch a free bus on Sunday (my hubby told me 'no no' on both) and worried on how it would impact the baby. He said not to worry about it as I would know if the weight is too much to carry. He did tell me before that I should act like a-70year old lady so I should move slowly. It's a bit hard for me to change, I tend to move reckless & abrupt when moving.

Sidetrack to my bus-running incident. On Sunday, we wanted to try this Thai restaurant in Darlinghurst for lunch but I didn't check the opening time and it only opens for dinner on weekends. So we headed down to Mamak (around Chinatown) to try their Malaysian food. After lunch, we wanted to go to QVB to look for birthday present and we chanced upon a Catholic church on George Street. The church looks modern and air-conditioned so I told hubby that he could try this next time with his parents. Then, I saw bus 555, a free bus covering the city area and I told hubby to catch it. I didn't leave him time to respond though, I ran for the bus and I hoped he followed me behind hehhee... We managed to catch it and I was explaining to him where the bus route is (since I worked in city and caught this bus several times). Then, I was surprised by.... 2 ladies who offered me their seat. My first thought was "Do I really look that pregnant!!" It's weird coz I would do the same thing they had done but now that I'm on the receiving end I don't understand why I felt 'uncomfortable' with the offer. Maybe.... I forgot that I was pregnant then, maybe .... I was not feeling tired (I was giggling & chatting excitedly with hubby at that time), maybe ... I was wearing a very loose blouse that I thought made me look 'just fat but not pregnant' hehehe.... So I took the offer & sat down elegantly as what a pregnant lady supposed to be!

Back to doctor's room, after the Q&A session, I finally got the chance to see the bub on ultrasound machine. As usual, I was holding my breath and waited for doctor to say there is a heartbeat. Yes, there is! Then he pointed us the head and legs. We had the same thought when he asked if we wanted to know the gender. Hubby & I said almost immediately "Yes!". He then played a little game and asked us to guess the gender by looking at the screen, "Do you see a 'burger' or a 'hotdog'". It's quite hard to see but it didn't look like hotdog so we guessed that it's a 'burger' (plus, my old Ob guessed it to be a girl) and he confirmed that it's a 'burger'. Now, we really need to think hard of a girl's name, and I can start looking for ballet school for her hahahaa.... A little mini-me inside me! (My hubby will protest that it's 'our' baby but I still have the tendency to say 'my' baby.)

We went back to do the blood test for the glucose test and we hope not to hear anything from the doctor in the next couple of weeks. No news is good news! Let me enjoy my cakes until then.

No comments: