Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Trimester 2- Month 5

We were back from our Singapore trip in January 2010 & read about the changes in Medicare rebate for management fee of Obstetrician. Our Ob charges $3,500 for management fee, while the consultation fee is bulk-billed. Based on the changes, we would only get $200-400 from Medicare for management fee. It made me consider of changing Ob & started doing some research of other Obs & their reviews.

My friend suggested Dr Chua as her friend used his service before and she was satisfied. His management fee is lower, $1800, and since I was not exactly happy with my old Ob, I didn't mind taking the risk of trying a new Ob.

At the same time, I decided to try a new place for the 20week ultrasound (Morphology) that my friend recommened as it is bulk-billed. Again, it is partly due to effort to cut cost so I tried Castlereagh Imaging. It was not bad though the service & machine was not as good as the previous ultrasound my old Ob recommended (not bulk-billed). The sonographer couldn't see the sex of the baby but I told her that my old Ob said (based on her scan) that it could be a girl and her response was "Then it is 60% chance of a girl". Hmm... should I rush and buy all things pink now?

Our first appt with the new Ob went alright. It was during lunch time so hubby could accompany me. We had to see the midwife first and she did all the prep work (filling the form, checking blood pressure, etc) before we went to see Ob. His first reaction after calling my name: "Apa kabar?" & I knew right away he would be either a Malaysian or a Singaporean. He's Malaysian & he commented on the similar size he & hubby have (tall & big). He talks a lot, in my opinion, to the point that I started to doubt what he says hehehe... the way I doubt what my hubby or my FIL said each time they talked too much. Maybe it's the Malaysian thingy.

He advised me to buy Saxa iodised salt as the supplement I am taking (Elevit) doesn't contain iodine. He said that the salt would be more helpful as I could use it in my cooking (if I cook!) and I would need iodine during the breastfeeding period so it's better to include it in our daily food. During the scan, he measured the baby to be 15cm head-to-rump, but he couldn't see the sex too. He said we could find out later when the baby is bigger.

In the meantime, I told my parents that the baby could be a girl and my mom's reaction was "Don't tell your FIL yet" hehe.... My FIL is making a bet with me that it would be a boy and he would buy me more presents if the baby is a boy. Of course it created a light argumentation with me as I prefer a girl and I don't support his favouritism attitude. Now, it would be fun to tell him that the baby would be a girl hehheehe... I just like to tease him so much. My hubby and MIL are the diplomats, they say they have no preference as long as it is healthy.

No comments: