Friday, April 10, 2009

1 year in Sydney

Soon, it'll be one year since we arrived Sydney. I can't really say it has past in a blink of an eye. Well, in general I always feel time is too slow, and wishing I'm in my retirement age by now.

Looking back, we're thankful for the good timing we arrived in Sydney. I'm not sure if we could still get a job if we arrived today instead of last year. We are grateful (to God) for the jobs we have (especially since we each changed to another job within a year). We are thankful for having my in-laws here and that they are sharing and enjoying the adventure of living a new country.

There are still a few more things that are still in progress though. We are not yet to have a baby even though we thought that moving to a less-stressed country would help. I still work the same long hours (if not, more) here compared to Singapore. I was about to quit my current work as I want to concentrate in IVF, but my wonderful boss allowed me to take days off if I need to so I'm staying put for now.

I still need to learn how to drive and maybe, just maybe, how to cook. Both of us plan to learn how to swim, so that's something we could do together.

We initially plan to buy a house but we couldn't find a suitable one. So, we plan to rent a new place (with indoor heated pool, tennis and library) for another 6 months wihile continuing to look for a suitable permanent house.

I tried reading up on adoption but it seems one of us has to be an Australian citizen. It would mean that we need to wait a couple more years. But the good thing is, if we decide to adopt from China, Hongkong or Taiwan, we may be given a priority since I am Chinese and Bruno is half-Chinese. I don't understand why adoption from China cost so much more compared to other countries. Other countries we could consider is Phillippines, Thailand or India (since Bruno is half Indian). I would prefer adopting from Chinese countries though as it would be closer to our culture so it would take less effort when trying to get the adopted one connect to his/her original culture (and giving me more reason to learn Mandarin, I guess).

So, we thank God for everything He has given us the last one year and we put up prayers to Him for everything that we plan for the next 1 year. Exciting year ahead with plan to move, buy furniture, buy house, IVF, getting car license, learning how to swim and, maybe, citizenship.

5 comments:

Wills said...

Hey it's been a long time since the last update. Good to hear that both of you are doing well on the job front. Sound like it will be an exciting yeard indeed. Good luck with IVF. Have you thought about complimenting it with Traditional Chinese Medicine?

Viv said...

Yeah, I was just discussing it with Bruno yesterday about TCM. Btw, is TCM means drinking the herbal thingy? Not too sure if want to compliment it with that and/or acupuncture. Would you recommend us going to the TCM (xx Liu)? Is she good?

Wills said...

TCM can be Chinese herbs or acupuncture or both, whichever works better for your case. We can highly recommend Lily from our own personal experience, both for her skills and her professionalism.

Viv said...

Thanks, Will. I'm not sure how to fit it in, whether simultaneously with IVF or do it while we take breaks from IVF. I'm thinking of the latter.

Wills said...

It's a very personal thing so do what you are comfortable with. Lily said she has herbs that supposedly help the embryo 'sticks' during IVF cycle though, but we never tried that one.