Sunday, April 26, 2009

Restaurants

This weekend, we ate out 3 times and this is not good! It hurt our already-expanding waist line and we're supposed to save $ towards our house downpayment.

First, hubby wanted to eat out on Friday and I suggested a Japanese Restaurant that my ex-colleagues brought me to last week. I think it's good that he knows other Japanese restaurants as we seem to be going to Miso for Japanese aaaaaallll the time (and also because my PIL like it too). His first reaction when we entered Nazimi was "This place is small..". Yeah, it was 'intimate' :) Overall the food was good and I am adding this to my 'to-bring-PIL-to' list. Next time, we'd order hotpot as it would be cold enough for that. Can't wait for PIL to come, it's really hard to order food for 2, restricted with quantity that we could consume.

Oh, I met one of my ex-colleagues who was also at the dinner the previous week, what a coincidence. She must have thought of showing her boyfriend this new place too.

The next day, I chanced upon the entertainment book we bought last year and decided to try any of the cafes nearby our place. Too bad that both of the places we wanted to visit was closed. So we decided to eat at Bakehouse Korean BBQ, which would never disappoint us. We ordered one beef and one pork meat for BBQ and kimchi soup. We are still struggling with the art of cooking the meat and how to eat it (with the lettuce and...?), and I was a bit self-conscious with the waiters kept coming over to change the hot plate.

Today, we decided to try another restaurant using the Entertainment Book and we went to Ecco in Drummoyne. Again, I was a bit self-conscious about eating in fine-dining restaurants, especially if I don't see any asians there. This place is almost 99% 'angmohs' but we did go ahead. We decided to skip Entree and ordered main course only...... and we realised that the main course too a looooong time to arrive. We came up with a theory that maybe, we SHOULD've ordered entree... and because we didn't, we would still get our main course in the same time it would take if we had ordered it hehehe... Maybe that's the reason they have entree, because the kitchen need that much time to cook the main course.

Oh well, hubby was very very hungry (though they served us a piece of bread) and when the food arrived, we tried very hard to eat slowly to savour the 'fine' food (I've tried to convince Bruno to eat slowly anyway). I ordered seafood plate ($39), which won some 'it-looks-good' comments from next table, and Bruno ordered a quail dish ($34) with a glass of white wine and a glass of beer. Somehow he was still hungry after the meal (he should've orderd a pasta dish actually) and I felt guilty for not ordering entree, we decided to order dessert and coffee. The waiter actually forgot to bring us the menu! But since we were 'trained' to wait by then, we just sit obediently until the waiter noticed us (that was when Bruno went to the loo and the waiter could then see me).

I realised that most of the people could stay there for hours, ordering drinks first, then entree, then main course and so on... And I'm so used to eat and get out of the place. Maybe we should do this fine-dining stuff more often to get the hang of it hehee... We calculate how much it would cost us if we do this once a month for 4 people. It's probably around $2k.

On another matter, I just watched 'So You Think You Can Dance' and I'm disappointed that Amy didn't win, I like her. I think Amy and Ben are better than the other 2 but maybe they are older. Down at top 2, I was expecting the guy would win (I forgot his name now) as most girls would do the voting than guys. So it was quite a surprise that Thalia won, I was expecting her to be the first one out from the top 4. And what happened to Ben getting emotional on his thank-you speech, he looks so matured and strong and tough...

No comments: