Saturday, May 10, 2008

Hubby's birthday

I don't really like birthdays in general, especially when it comes to birthdays of pp close to me. Somehow I feel the pressure to 'perform', eg, have to think what gifts to buy (it's a test of how well you know a person), where to celebrate it (got to be some place special), where to get the cake, etc etc.

The good thing is, my hubby is as bad as me when it comes to birthday. I mean, we both just take birthday as another day. We didn't bother to think of what gifts to give, but... we do like to eat so we'll put a slight effort to think of where to eat.

So yesterday, as expected, no birthday gifts. I even forgot to wish him 'Happy birthday' when it's past midnight and we were just about to sleep, he just blurted out "Hey, it's my birthday now". So I snapped out of my semi-conscious state of near-sleep to give him a peck and wishes.

I planned to take him out to have dinner at Hurricane's (ribs) but the place is usually noisy so I was contemplating whether to have it in an Indonesian restaurant that I have 25% off. So I didn't make any reservations at all.

In the afternoon, we went out to meet new friends at a lunch gatherings of Singaporeans in Sydney at a Singapore cafe called "Kopitiam on 228". We had 'kway chaps' but hubby ate their Nonya Laksa (he can't eat pork intestines). It's nice meeting new people, suddenly I was back to Singlish and Mandarin.

After lunch, we walked around at Rhodes mall and I got my hubby to buy 2 winter tops (not too sure what's the right name for it). I thought that he'll need a long sleeve top to cover his hands when he's driving during the day. The sun ray is too painful for the skin, I think. He looked so handsome in the top!!

After that, we went to Hurricane to try our luck. The queue was long but we joined the q after finding a parking spot. We ordered a Full Rack (pork) with mashed potato to share. According to my hubby (who understands Cantonese), the couple (Hongkongers) next table commented that we ordered too little since hubby is big size hehehee... Oh well, I thought the same thing too, but lucky hubby felt he's satisfied. Oh, we met 2 old friends while waiting there too (Vivi and Edward).

When we finished our dinner, we took a walk around Bondi (brrr...it was cold!). When we got back to our car, we got a nasty birthday surprise.... a fine of $79 for not paying for parking. Oh well, we didn't read the sign correctly so we thought it was free parking hehehe...

2 comments:

Wenty said...

Happy birthday to your hubby Vivi! Actually the fine thing reminds me of the same thing happened to us 2 or 3 years ago on Willson's birthday where we got a parking fine right opposite our own house. Oh well, thing happened! ;P

Viv said...

Thanks, Wenty, I'll pass it to hubby later.
Yeah, it's a lesson for us to be careful when reading the sign.

Btw, all the best with the acupuncture. If you guys have spare time, maybe we could meet in person.