Thursday, August 16, 2007

Immigration process

Living in an efficient city like Singapore has its bad side effect. We are too used to have everything running smoothly and orderly that we feel upset and irritated when things don't go as expected. It made one more impatient and short-tempered.

I am going to have one now with Australian immigration process. A couple months ago, my husband was sent a letter requesting both of us to do health check-ups and police clearance. Instead of seeing my name in the letter, I saw another similar name (similar surname) in the letter. So we notified the officer of the error and we received an amended letter a week later (but with no apology)

After furnishing them with all the relevant documentation, we received a pre-grant letter stating that our application is nearing completion once all the requirements in the letter is met. My name was wrong again! Worse still, this other 'me' was in Australia so she has to leave Australia and prove the departure with a copy of itinerary. So again, we notified them of the error and we again get an amended pre-grant letter.

This time, we noted that the initial first entry date was someday in the past (early 2007), so we again notified them with the error. And today, I received an email again from them which looks exactly like the 1st pre-grant letter, and with my wrong name (wrong person) again. Grrr!

It's so funny that they keep putting this other lady's name instead of my name. It also happens that there was another lady with the similar name as me in my church. A few months after my wedding, her name appreared in the church bulletin as a bride-to-be. So of course, the church people was teasing that I'm getting married again.
People who know me in church keep asking me if I'm trying for a baby and I am. Some even thought I am pregnant cos I put on some weight after my marriage. So, when people saw my 'look-alike' name appeared in church bulletin's prayer list for pregnant wives, I was being congratulated for the pregnancy!
And a few weeks ago, her name appeared again for delivery of her baby. So, I was teased again for being so healthy to come to church after delivery hehehee....

The funny thing is, this lady who appeared in my church bulletin (nobody I know in church has ever seen the lady before) has the same name as the person in the letter from the immigration. How wierd is that! She's like my shadow... It must be a great coincidence that she got married a few mths after me and also migrating/migrated to Autralia. I even went as far as finding the 'other' me in friendster and found her (though i'm not sure how many pp share the same name)hahahaa....

Moral of the story: make sure you give a unique name for your children.
Now, I just hope she doesn't have criminal records.

No comments: