Sunday, August 26, 2007

Keeping it a secret

I was just wondering what will happen if my boss knows about my plan. Will he 'reduce' my year-end bonus? Of course....

Now, the problem is... my big mouth already told a couple (about 4) about the plan. My senior knows about me applying for PR coz i told him about it when he asked (silly me!). The remaining 3 persons know when it will go there.So I realized that I put myself in a difficult situation. I told them to keep it a secret but hey, I wouldn't know if they have told anybody. Sigh, I am even thinking whether I am taking a risk writing this blog, in case any of my boss(es) happen to find the blog.

Just last Friday, while going back home with another Indonesian colleague to MRT, I casually mentioned that I have a long-term plan to go Australia. What suprised me is that she has the same plan too. Both her and her husband plan to go there, but only after they have kids. She said that there is some benefits for children born in Australia. But presently, they think that it is not worth paying the high tax there, and they would earn more over here.

Interestingly, I found an article in efinancialcareers about what the chance is for Sydney to be the next global financial hub (http://news.efinancialcareers.com.au/NEWS_ITEM/newsItemId-10763).The article mentioned several factors that is hindering the development:

1. Taxes and living costs are high: "Sydney is an expensive place to live; add the fear that half [your earnings] will be lost in tax, then talent will also look elsewhere."

2. Senior openings are all too few: "There are fewer head offices in Australia and smaller deals, so people will quickly outgrow this market. The attractiveness of putting your roots down here in the prime of your career is probably less than other markets."

I know of one ex-colleague who is a HongKong born Australian who works in Singapore and got a chance for a few banks overseas (HongKong, Netherlands). He probably has the best of both world, at least in monetary terms, coz he gets to avoid paying Australian tax but he will be able to return and retire in Australia anytime. Now, isn't it a good deal?

On another article, http://news.efinancialcareers.com.au/NEWS_ITEM/newsItemId-10761, it compares career opportunities (more for single & adventurous executive) in London, Singapore and Sydney.

It reminds me of my ex-senior (a Malaysian) who asked for a transfer to London branch, and after a year he found another job in another bank there. I am sure (and a little jealous) that he is getting a good salary there. Although the living cost may be higher, any disposible income would be multipled by 6 when converted to MYR. Definitely enough for hime to buy another condominium in KL. But of course, he is single and he can move to whatever city or job that offers the best opportunity.

Although I am worried about work opportunities and growth over there, especially if I have to compare to my peers here or elsewhere, I think the move would be good for my husband. His industry (manufacturing) is a sunset industry in Singapore. So he is hoping he will get a better job offers over there or open a business over there.

I told my husband of an article that I found (when searching for a 'financial engineering' course in Sydney) that Macquarie University is starting engineering degrees to help tackle Australia's engineering skills shortage (http://www.pr.mq.edu.au/events/index.asp?ItemID=3107). I hope it would mean that he could have variety of job offers to choose from.

So, as a whole, I think our plan to go Australia is still a better choice. If not, it will always be a good experience for us to try.

4 comments:

JackRussell said...

Hi,

I have a similar case as you.....in Singapore and applied a few mths ago for Aussie PR......what is your plan to go over when it finally comes?

vivi said...

hi jackrussel,

so glad to find another person in same boat as us. Hope you get your PR soon. Which city do you plan to go?

My plan over there is to settle down, rent a place, buy a car, get a job and get my parents-in-law over :) Still far lah.... What about you?

JackRussell said...

Hi Vivi,

For me.....my goal is to get to melbourne with my wife and dog...hopefully next year once the pr is approved.

do you have some messenger or email we can contact? It helps a lot in the process to find someone in the same stage of shifting over =)

Viv said...

hi jackrussel,

Oh, another one going to Melbourne hmm....

I did mentioned in one of my entries of another blogger who is in Melbourne now. I think his blog will help you in some ways. His blog is http://willwen.blogspot.com/ or another one would be under SingaporeBrides.com
http://www.singaporebrides.com/forumboard/messages/3/30680.html?1189139622

Drop me your email addy.... not sure if it is safe to put your email addy in public website though.