Monday, August 13, 2007

Why Australia?

We told a few people about our Australian plan, most of them could not understand why we want to go there. And I can understand why they feel this way.

I think my main reason going there is for my future generation. I have always been curious about Western education so I want to see how they fare over there. I hope it will be better for them over there compared to my own education in Jarkarta+Singapore, hopefully they'd be more all-rounded. Hopefully, they could choose the courses they want to do (eg, Arts), rather than choosing the course based on marketability (eg, Accountants) or prestige (eg Doctors, Lawyers). I think they could probably make a decent living even if they choose to be a ballerina (my wish hehehe..), painter, singer, dancer or librarian, as long as they love the chosen job.

Secondly, my husband and my PIL love Australia. And I love making them happy hehehe....
My husband and my MIL don't really like the warm, hot weather in Singapore and they all are looking forward to live in a cooler country. Both PIL love jogging and I will need to start doing City2Surf again over there.

Third, hopefully we can take things slower over there. Enjoy family time and visit all the cities there. It's like an extended holiday.... a working holiday.... I hope my job doesn't require me to work late. I know it's a slim chance coz banking industry everywhere seems to work longer hours. I remember i worked on Sats and Suns when I was working in Sydney

4th, I hope my dream about being a 'low-maintenance' tai-tai would come true. My husband wants to try doing his own business and I think the survival rate over there is prob higher than in Singapore. We will probably work as employee first, while saving money and looking for opportunity. I don't like owning a business so I'll be the 'fixed income' (pardon the financial jargon), providing steady income; while my hubby would be the 'equity' who will not bring regular salary but comes wiht prospect of great wealth. If he's stable, I could stay at home and do all my hobbies (excluding housework and cooking) and take care of the kids

I know that the tax rate is higher over there, but at least we know we won't die of hunger (with some welfare) if we're really poor. Money has never been a goal so it would be nice just to be sufficient.

I know that travelling would be expensive from there, but I don't like travelling anyway. I think travelling is over-rated and I prefer spending the money taking courses (eg. dance tuition, learning French or Italian or Spanish, learn swimming/cooking/knitting, etc) My hubby has to drag me to go to HK for holiday and I dread the packing and unpacking and visiting...... Well, except if it is to Europe.......especially to Italy.... especialy to Italy to ogle at Italian Men

Shopping closes early but I dont' like shopping either. Btw, i need to cut my hair, buy night cream, buy nail polish..... I'm really bad at shopping. I buy only those that I need and I don't do window-shopping. Usually I'll find the nearest cafe to sit and have coffee+cake. Hmm.. some exceptions.... I keep visiting gym equipment store and keep looking at camcorder models. My hubby asked me to sell my present equipment and camcorder first before buying new ones.

Having said that, I have some reservation about fitting into Australian lifestyle. My English is not very good, and I get tongue-tied and nervous surrounded by 'ang moh'. I think I feel 'inferior' to them. Once, I got scolded in the office once for jamming a program (it was really a lousy program anyway), the support guy came and just screamed his voice over the top of his lungs at me..... tsk tsk tsk... never have a more humiliating scoldings in my working life before. Let's see, I got scolded in a bus once and in the beach once. Gosh, Australians really speak their mind out loud. Or maybe I look like an easy subject? Well, i'll toughen up this time!

Oh, my major concern is the weather. I have always thought i like cold weather. Well, I like sunny cool weather. But I found myself swearing at the sky when it gets too cold at night and in the morning. And I found comfort in hot shower that I was so reluctant to turn-off the tap. I don't perspire easily in warm weather, I'm probably trained from childhood days back in Jakarta. Over there, after a few months, I only noticed that the skin on my legs are so dry I could see the cracks. Gotta get into a habit of putting on lotion. Also, I came back Singapore with freckles!!

Well, my expectation is not that high 2nd time around so I hope I would be able to handle the culture and weather shocks. If i'm in doubt, I just need to look at my husband and my PIL and tell myself I'm a good person by putting their happiness above mine heehehehhe.....

No comments: